Friday 15 November 2013

Zelkova Serrata Material


I recently attended a Bonsai Boot sale. If you’ve never attended one I would recommend it, as you can pick up some real bargains. Whilst walking around I spotted this going for peanuts. I loved the deadwood and vibrant colour of the leaves/leaf size. I felt with a bit of work this could become a very pretty little tree indeed.



 


Looks like top died off some time ago. I suspect this may have been a failed ground layer as there is evidence of a trench in the bark around the buttress just below soil level. More will be revealed when I repot this in spring though...
 
 
the trunk is (badly) carved inside, and is hollow all the way up.The live line/dieback stops here:
 
 

 I’ll be taking this to chrissie at Bushukan bonsai in Essex to ensure that this is where it stops. The leaves show evidence of hard water being used and lime build-up. I'll be watering strictly with rainwater so this will go next year. (Branches are whitened somewhat too but it rubs off easily)
Just next to the the top round hole(pic below), you can see a straight branch poking out and up from behind. this will be where the new apex is to be built from. It's actually a secondary branch from the primary right hand branch, grown back and under the trunk. I'll train let it grow freely for some time.

Here's another view of the concealed branch from above:

and underneath – (you can see it as you follow the hollow up)
 
The deadwood needs attention, doesn't look like it's had any kind of hardener or the like. The carving is fairly crude too. Luckily Paul Finch holds workshops at Bushukan Nursery near me, so I'll be looking to get it to one in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment